Take Our Virtual Tour!


In order to cover fees, books and living expenses, an international student in a graduate school in Ontario will need a minimum of $25,000 per year. If this amount is not covered by independent means or financial support from the student's own country, and if he/she is therefore in need of fellowship support, the student should be aware of the following facts. Because of government restriction on the money available, students from other countries entering Canada on study permits and proceeding to a graduate school in the province of Ontario are restricted in most cases to teaching assistantships involving no more than 10 paid hours per week.


International students who are registered in full-time study at a degree-granting post-secondary institution are permitted to work on that campus without a permit. "On-campus" is defined as employment in facilities owned, leased or rented by the educational institution. The employer can be the university, faculty, student organization or private contractor providing services to the university and operating on campus. International students have found jobs at the library, colleges (such as Summer maintenance), athletic complex, alumni office, development office, TIP office, food catering company, The Arthur (newspaper), liaison office (campus tours) and as research assistants to faculty.

You must possess a valid permit and if you have not undergone a medical examination, you may be subject to specific terms and conditions.

Before accepting any other employment in Canada (off-campus) you must obtain a permit. Normally this is granted only for a position which cannot be filled by a Canadian resident. There are some exceptions to this (e.g., students will be granted a work permit for work which is a required part of their course of study).

You may also work in an area consistent with your course of study for up to one year following graduation, but you must start within 60 days of the day final marks are released. To receive this type of permit you will require proof of eligibility to graduate, listing the course of study completed plus an offer of employment.

Spouses of full-time students are eligible to accept employment anywhere but must obtain a work permit.

English Proficiency Requirements

Proficiency in English usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Trent University. Applicants whose primary language is not English and who completed their previous university education in a language other than English, must provide proof of proficiency in English before admission using one of the tests listed below.

Where the language of instruction in the previous university education has been English, the Committee on Graduate Studies is prepared to consider alternate proof of English language proficiency.

Applicants who studied at a university in Bangladesh, India, Nigeria or Pakistan are not eligible for this exception and must provide proof of English language proficiency using one of the tests listed below.

The following tests are acceptable forms of proof of English language proficiency:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) A minimum score of 580 PBT, 237 CBT, 93 iBT (internet based 'TOEFL) with a minimum score of 22 in writing and speaking is required.; (Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, U.S.A.)
  • CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Test) – alternate test only for applicants who do not have access to TOEFL (Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6). The minimum acceptable score is 60, with at least 60 in Writing Proficiency.
  • MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery). The minimum acceptable score is 85, with no part below 80.
  • IELTS (International English language Testing Services). The minimum acceptance score is 6.5, with no band below 6.0.

Applicants must make their own arrangements for taking language tests and having the results sent to the University in time to meet its application deadline by contacting the centre in their locale or by writing to one of the above.


Required documentation may vary from country to country. Please visit Trent International Program and Citizenship and Immigration Canada for details regarding Study Permits, Visas and other related documentation.